This week we interview Bryan Srabian, Director of Social Media for the San Francisco Giants. And we discuss the latest in sports marketing news.
Interview – Bryan Srabian
Heineken “StarPlayer” App – Link
- Heineken recognized two common behaviors of fans watching soccer and other live sporting events. One, they drink beer. Two, they surf the web and send messages on their mobile phone or laptop about the game, an activity called dual screening.
- The StarPlayer app can be played on a computer, iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. It is available until the final UCL game at the end of May.
- Users create a simple profile in advance and the app opens for play just before the UCL match starts. The app timer instantly synchs with the timer of the televised game and offers users chances to predict what will happen on the field in the next 30 seconds. Correct predictions earn points, with the earlier the prediction, the higher the points. People can also win points by answering random trivia questions about sports or Heineken-related topics.
- Players can also publish their individual and league results on Facebook.
- Research backs up the trend that TV viewing is no longer passive. A Deloitte survey, conducted in late 2010, showed nearly three-quarters of American adults and teens are multitasking while watching TV.
UFL Announces Draft Picks on Twitter – Link
- The UFL used Twitter to announce their 2011 Draft picks.
- If you watched the NFL Draft and follow some of the analysts and experts on Twitter you know that many of the picks we’re broken on Twitter before Commissioner Goodell even took the stage to announce the picks. Deadspin described this as “more live than live.”
- Many of the players drafted have already played in the NFL so there was some name recognition if you’re a football fan.
3M Sponsors Triple Crown Horse – Link
- MN based conglomerate, 3M has come to an agreement to sponsor a horse in all three triple crown races.
- Mucho Macho Man.
- “The Triple Crown represents quality of the highest level so it’s an ideal fit for our company.” – Jeff Lavers, VP Sales and Marketing for 3M.
- Where’s the connection between 3M and Mucho Macho Man you may be mentioning to yourself? The company develops, manufactures and markets products across a broad spectrum of animal care ranging from bandaging tapes to wound management solutions.
WTA Strong is Beautiful – Link
- The Women’s Tennis Association has finally bought into the success some of their beautiful athletes have had.
- Strong is Beautiful campaign shows off the many beautiful women of the WTA, and will be putting them in evening gown attire while playing tennis.
- The goal is to attract casual fans (men) to the game.